7,700 years ago... Evidence of First Americans moving into Sisters Country, using these lands for huckleberry, root and nut gathering, fishing and hunting.
1805 Lewis and Clark note the snow-capped peaks of the "Western Mountains," (Cascade Range) including what is now Mt. Jefferson.
1825 Peter Skene Ogden of the Hudson Bay Co. camped by Why-Chus Creek two miles west of Squaw Flat. The next day he fed horses on meadows thought to be at Indian Ford.
1859 A group of men from Lebanon, Oregon scout route for eastern road over Cascades; becomes Santiam Wagon Road, completed in 1865.
1865 Captain Charles LaFollette and forty men from Company A, 1st Oregon Volunteer Infantry establish a military camp at Camp Polk.
1870 Samuel Hindman and family, one of the first settlers in Central Oregon, establishes a homestead near the abandoned Camp Polk.
1895 Squaw Creek (Whychus Creek) Irrigation District organized.
1912 Hotel Sisters built.
1923 Fire starts in an unattended garage in Sisters. Fire destroys buildings on Cascade Avenue, including businesses and residences, one being the Sisters Drug Store and Post Office.
1924 Fire starts in a defective flue in the Gist Hotel destroying buildings on both sides of Cascade Avenue between Fir and Spruce.
1937 Separate Sisters High School building built. (This brick building is now used as school district administration offices and is on the National Register of Historic Places.)
1940 The first annual (official) Sisters Rodeo held at the Creighton place, northeast of downtown.
1946 Sisters becomes an incorporated city.
1951 Artificial propagation of steelhead trout in Squaw Creek (Whychus Creek).
1964 City of Sisters hit by major flood.
1968 Sisters High School closed; students bussed to Redmond High School.
1971 Black Butte Ranch, the Brooks Resources resort, begins selling lots and Big Meadow Golf Course opens.
1975 Jean Wells and Cathi Howells begin the first annual Sisters Quilt Show; 11 quilts exhibited. The annual show is held the second Saturday of July.
1978 City of Sisters passes ordinance requiring 1880s-style store fronts.
1992 New Sisters High School (now Sisters Middle School) opens, taking old mascot name, Outlaws.
2002 Cache Mtn. Fire hits Black Butte Ranch, two homes lost.
2003 New Sisters High School opens. B&B Complex Fire.
2006 Squaw Creek renamed Whychus Creek.
2006 Whychus Creek rerouted in natural channel through Camp Polk Reserve.
2014 Cascade Avenue/Highway 20 undergoes complete renovation.
Copyright © 2014 Sisters Country Historical Society